for Under $10,000
A kitchen face-lift cannot only give you more functionality for cooking, there is also nothing like cooking and eating in a newly refreshed kitchen space! When a kitchen remodel or “redo” budget is limited, there are many strategies that allow you to make significant changes with very little impact on your pocketbook. Begin by removing everything from your kitchen, clear the countertops of small kitchen appliances, remove window treatments, rugs, art work or accessories, etc. and start with a blank slate.
Once you have a good idea of the kind of kitchen you want to create, the next step is to consider various kitchen components such as countertops, cabinets, flooring, painting, installing a backsplash, and much more!
A new countertop definitely is an eye-popping way to revamp a kitchen. Countertops are available in many different materials such as laminate, Corian, Granite, Concrete, etc. With the many options available, most homeowners can fit new countertops into their kitchen update budget. Do your homework and visit countertop stores. Note that replacing the countertops can make a dramatic change to any kitchen and should be seriously considered as a first step.
Cabinets and Drawer Pulls
Debi Pesch, Designer from Kitchen Ideas Center + Design, recommends replacing the cabinet and drawer hardware in your home. This is a relatively easy way to change the overall mood and appearance of a kitchen and the expense is minimal.
New flooring can wake-up a kitchen! Wood and ceramic tile are very popular and comparable in price. Laminates and vinyl also run about the same price. When checking prices be sure to inquire if you can save money by tearing out the old flooring yourself.
Paint and Accessories
- Painting the kitchen walls is a very inexpensive face-lift and can be the most satisfying change a homeowner can make.
- Consider a colorful tiled backsplash or tile with a unique design for your kitchen. Tiles can be applied in many ways: counter backsplashes, on islands, patterned on floors, etc. Tiles can be almost used anywhere to accent a particular part of the kitchen.
- Replace your kitchen rugs, towels and accessories. Choose different styles and colors for accessories. Change the fabric of rugs or go with a seasonal theme. There are many options available that are inexpensive.
- Kitchen cabinets can be updated, too! If they are in basic good shape, consider painting, refinishing or resurfacing your current cabinets. Refinishing is the most popular method of revamping kitchen cabinets. Professionally done, refinishing is durable and can last as long at 15-20 years. An alternative to refinishing is painting the kitchen cabinets and may be a good choice for someone that wants to create a more dramatic color change. Generally painting kitchen cabinets is a more cost effective manner of updating.
- New window coverings can truly enhance a kitchen. Longer or shorter drapes and new hardware can change a window’s appearance significantly. Light or dark fabrics can make quite a difference so consider this when purchasing your new window treatments.
- Kitchen lighting can invigorate any kitchen…highlight areas that may have been underplayed in the past. For do-it-yourselfers the cost can be minimal and very attractive lighting fixtures can be found at many of the big-box stores.
- New appliances can be affordable, too, and a very practical way to update any kitchen. Current trends and popular styles include stainless steel and side-by-sides refrigerators. Often “package deals” will afford homeowners a considerable savings when making these purchases.
As noted above, there are many inexpensive options available to you when you want to update and freshen up your kitchen. From painting or refinished kitchen cabinets to painting, from installing tile backsplashes, to adding new towels and window coverings – all are cost effective ways to make your kitchen look new and inviting.