Whether you have lived in your house for many years or have just moved into your home, chances are good there are changes you want to make making to your home to make it more functional and enjoyable.
Remodeling may not be the answer for you. It may be too expensive or just too radical for your tastes. However, there are a number of smaller projects you can do to alter the look, feel and function of various parts of your home.
Jim Lampe, President of Dane Building Concepts (a company specializing in remodeling and repurposing portions of homes) has created lists of ideas for altering various rooms to enhance your home’s livability.
For your living area, Jim recommends:
- Adding an addition, such as a four-season room or screened-in porch
- A sunroom
- Putting in new doors and upgrade trim
- Remove wallpaper
- Install a Home Theater and Surround Sound
- Add, update, and/or convert a fireplace
- Add storage in your garage
- Make an exercise area
Jim’s basement Ideas Include:
- Adding an office
- Adding a bedroom
- Making more family space
- Installing a wet bar/kitchenette
- Creating a game area
- Adding can/recessed lighting
- Improve storage in unfinished space for efficiency
- Or add a gas fireplace to improve warmth!
These and other small “tweaks” (such as moving furniture around or adding new blinds) will make any space within and connected to your home more livable. It will also add value if you ever decide to sell your home!