A complete roof replacement or major repairs are tough to diagnose just by looking at a roof from ground level. To know when you should begin planning for a replacement, you most likely rely on telltale clues. The Madison WI climate, with its snow, ice, hail, drastic temperature swings and gusty winds can cause damage that’s hard to spot. The key to keeping your roofing in good repair is the ability to spot these symptoms quickly and early.
Hints you May Need A Roof Replacement Soon
Some clues to serious damage are easier to spot than others. Here are a few to look for ahead of roof replacement planning in Madison WI:
- Algae growth (streaking) — Tree pollen and other organic debris collecting in shaded areas and getting little sunlight can result in mildew and algae growth, accelerating the need for a roof replacement
- Buckling — Your roof can appear to sag if its underlayment was improperly installed or if there is a cause for weakness like water damage
- Blistering — Insulation and ventilation of attics is critical and any problem here can cause moisture damage and contribute to the need for a roof replacement sooner rather than later.
Water is the No. 1 enemy of your roof. Preventing water leaks is your best insurance to prolong the need for a replacement. Look for these clues to where you may have water problems:
Sign You May Need A Roof Replacement Soon In Madison WI
- Missing shingles — This is the most obvious clue and will expose the roof to water damage and rot. One missing shingle makes it easier for other shingles to be blown off, too
- Curling — With exposure to extreme temperatures, old shingles can curl and split, losing their waterproofing qualities
- Missing granules — Look in your gutters for the little “gravel” off your shingles. Age, wind, storm rains and possible hail damage causes granules to release
- Rotting — Damage to shingles or just age allows moisture absorption and water damage
- Sagging areas — Obvious sagging can be a sign of warping, rotting or broken wood beneath the surface
- Torn shingles — Almost as bad as missing shingles, these can lead to water damage and rot. They make it easier for nearby shingles to be blown off, too.
If you notice any of these clues, and want to determine if a roof replacement is needed, contact a reputable roofing contractor in the Madison WI area for a complete roofing inspection.
Sims Exteriors and Remodeling has roofing professionals to help spot the need for roof replacement and advise homeowners on how to improve the longevity of their roofing. They will identify serious concerns and offer solutions ranging from patches to a total roof replacement.
For more details on these or any roofing concerns, call or email Sims Exteriors and Remodeling – 608-825-4500 – for assistance in securing the best roof replacement or repairs for your needs in Madison WI.