“Birding introduces an entirely new perspective on how someone can enjoy their home,” says Bob Ross, owner of Wild Birds Unlimited. “Feeding birds, watching them throughout the year and creating a space on your property for your favorite species keeps your yard alive, literally,” Ross continues, “Our goal is to help people enjoy their home and yard more throughout the year. Birding is an excellent way to do that.”
The best way to entice birds to your lawn so that you can watch birds is through birdseed. Often, people think birdseed is birdseed, not making a distinction between various mixtures. There are many variations of seed blends for birds to eat.
Bird Eating Preferences
Birds are like people in that they have preferences. For example:
- A blend heavier in peanuts will be preferred by woodpeckers and blue jays
- Another blend with black oil sunflower seed and safflower seed will draw more cardinals, chickadees, nuthatches and finches
Many feed stores, garden stores, or farm stores will have staff on hand to assist you with selecting the proper bird seed. “We have a chart showing what species are attracted to the various seed blends ready for who ever would like one. With that as a beginning, a homeowner can start building the environment they want in their yard,” Ross says.
The story doesn’t stop here, however. You can find many accessory type items that will enhance the birding experience and can also make great holiday gifts!
Here are some more popular items:
- Bird Houses
- Wind Chimes
- Stained Glass Decorations
- Optics (binoculars, scopes, etc.)
- Apparel (shirts, sweatshirts, socks, etc.)
- Plush Toys
- Finger Puppets (squirrels, chipmunks, mice, birds, etc.)
You can also find distinctive yard items such as:
- Concrete Benches (different colors and tints)
- Stepping Stones
- Hanging Feeders
- Advanced Pole Systems (modular all steel construction with weather resistant powder coating and decorative add-ons including Christmas trees & snowmen) to support houses & feeders
“In winter months, feeding birds can help you direct favorite species to your yard. As spring arrives, the addition of birdbaths, decorative steppingstones and benches can help make a special outdoor place for any generation. We even have a heated bird bath for those who don’t want to wait until spring for the full show,” indicates Bob Ross, owner of Wild Birds Unlimited.