Basement remodeling represents an efficient opportunity for home owners in Madison WI to expand and enhance their living area. A basement remodeling project can increase living space and the value of your home.
Basement Remodeling Takes A Plan
To get the most from the basement remodeling project, concentrate on the planning stage. Basement remodeling may mean starting from scratch, finishing something already started or updating a current space.
Basement Remodeling Is A Transformation
The first thing Madison WI homeowners need to evaluate is the potential – or existence – of water issues or dampness in the basement. Is there evidence of a water problem? Is it a recurring condition? If the answers are “yes,” work with a water management specialist before basement remodeling.
Where To Start With Basement Remodeling
Every Madison WI home has unique characteristics that can influence the final basement remodeling plan. Here are a few to consider:
- If yours is an older home, be sure the foundation is solid. If there are water issues, tiling and other preparation may be required and should be completed before any work begins in the basement. Many older homes have low ceilings that don’t allow for modern ceiling treatments or some types of lighting. Lower ceilings can dictate the type of existing duct work and can lead to re-routing to accommodate new additions during basement remodeling. Consider what walls, if any, can be changed, moved or removed to contribute to the new look
You will likely come up with several more details to be reviewed. Make a list to review with your professional basement remodeling contractor.
The Fun Part of Basement Remodeling
Step two is to include all the options you want. Any of these basement remodeling ideas can have a huge impact on the character and cost of your basement remodeling project. They should be considered in concert with you previous concerns. Look closely at the following:
- Ceiling — do you want a dropped, drywall or open one? Does the existing construction restrict what you can do?
- Flooring — do you want carpeting, tile, wood or other floor coverings? Have you reviewed all the latest options?
- Walls — do you want any removed or added? Again, what restrictions does current construction impose?
- Lights — there are dozens of lighting options, have you reviewed what’s available and what can work in your location?
- Access to electrical outlets — Now’s the time to put in additional outlets for whatever accessories you may want, and to consider the additional load your current system can accept.
When it comes to finishing details, are any of the following on your list:
- A new bedroom in the basement — a “legal” bedroom in the basement will need a proper egress window to meet code requirements
- Soundproof insulation
- A home theater/surround sound, entertainment center
- Special built-in cabinets
- A wet bar/kitchenette
- A fireplace
- A bathroom or sauna
- A playroom or exercise area
- An office
- Storage in unfinished space
Adding a basement egress window changes the dynamic of a basement remodeling plan. An egress window, when properly installed, increases livable space and can be included for bedrooms, bathrooms or family rooms – safety codes require them for bedrooms.
Go With a Basement Remodeling Pro
Note that several of these are among the most popular basement remodeling requirements, but they also require detailed work that can include plumbing, electrical up-grades, adding ventilation and even access to natural gas for a fireplace – all requiring specialized contractors and often premium prices.
Whether you’ve lived in your Madison Wi home for many years or just moved in, basement remodeling represents one of the most efficient opportunities for home owners in Madison WI to expand and enhance their living area. Sims Exteriors and Remodeling can help you define what changes make sense.
Call (608) 825-4500 or email us and tap into our expertise as you plan for this important decision and move forward on a rewarding basement remodeling project in Madison WI.