You don’t need a huge backyard to enjoy comfortable outdoor living spaces. Defining areas with stone pavers is an ideal way to get the most from your Madison WI backyard, big or small.
While a small yard may have its limitations, generous outdoor spaces can be created with attention to detail and scale. Rather than trying to create several multi-function outdoor rooms, concentrate on function-specific spaces. Your efforts could be focused upon:
- An Outdoor Dining Area – Bringing food out from the kitchen to a new paver patio is a way to meld the indoor and outdoor living spaces. Keep the structure close to the kitchen so it’s not too difficult to serve the family or guests. Plenty of seating, a dining table and decorative accents complete the scene.
- Add A Dedicated Grilling Space – Your outdoor space expands its usefulness while expanding its foot print very little with a dedicated spot for a charcoal or gas grill. This versatile space doesn’t have to be an expansive “outdoor kitchen.” A simple spot away from the most traffic is idea. Take into consideration the amount of smoke grilling may generate – avoid placing your grill too close to the house or other structures.
- Just Relax – Incorporate curves, textures and colors into a stone paver patio to create a space where you can enjoy sunshine, blue sky and fresh air. Add privacy screens and comfortable furnishing for a more complete room.
Ideas for Small Backyard Outdoor Living Spaces
Working with a large expanse of yard allows for dozens of options. Creating within a small backyard or confined space like many of the yards found in and around Madison WI poses challenges. Challenges that the creative use of stone pavers can resolve.
Working with a designer to plan paver patios for outdoor spaces in small yards, consider:
- Don’t overpower a small space – Use smaller pavers as opposed to large stones. To cover larger spaces use a combination of paver stones in complimentary sizes.
- Create a natural flow – connect the outdoor space with the house and other areas in the yard, both visually and physically with sight lines and pathways.
- Enjoy open space – retaining walls and structures should be low enough to allow viewing the entire yard.
- Avoid clutter – don’t overdo the furniture.
- Simple is best – in a small space, smaller landscaping plants, smaller containers for plants and simple structures are best.
- Consider adding sounds – bring your favorite music outdoors. There are attractive and high-quality systems designed for use outdoors.
- Create a focal point – a small water feature like a pond-less waterfall or fountain is ideal. Stone structures are eye-catching. Be creative, think art work, stained glass or a natural wood arbor.
As the many elements of the yard come together, make sure there are ways for them to truly come together – paver paths and walkways create interesting and versatile connections from patio to lawn to other areas of the property.
Make the Most of Your Backyard – Call a Pro
Contact Marvin Martinez at Martin’s Brick Pavers, 608-630-8855 or email us at www.marvinsbrickpavers.com for professional ideas to for creative installations of stone pavers to create custom outdoor living spaces in Madison WI.