Now’s the time to upgrade your swimming pool and replace worn concrete with a new paver pool deck. For decades, residential in-ground swimming pool installations included concrete decks around the pool. While serviceable, basic concrete isn’t particularly user friendly and it’s just plain boring. A host of pool paver ideas have evolved to give new life to older pools in Madison WI.
Paver Pool Decks Installed Over Concrete
A new brick, stone or paver deck around a pool can be installed directly atop existing concrete, even if the concrete is slightly cracked. The installation – renovation or for a new pool – puts pavers over a sand base that will absorb shifts in cracked concrete without damaging of moving pavers. If joints are filled with polymer sand they bond together firmly.
Concrete pavers have generated a legion of fans for several reasons. Near the top of the list are two obviously positive traits:
- They are foot-friendly – pool decks created from pavers aren’t as slippery as smooth, seamless surfaces and their texture provides for extra grip, especially with bare feet. Joints stream moisture away leaving the pavers cooler to walk on.
- They look really, really good – the list of pool paver ideas is long and ongoing, limited only by the space available, the shape of the swimming pool and your imagination.
Additional benefits of using stone, brick or concrete pavers include:
- Durability – paving stones hold up under foot traffic and won’t discolor of decompose when exposed to UV from the sun or chlorine from the pool.
- Blend into décor – available in so many colors, shapes and sizes pavers will blend into all your hardscaping details. Many mix and match pool paver designs for patterns, color combinations and designs.
TIP FROM A PRO – since your paver pool deck isn’t likely to be in the shade, selecting light colored pavers will make it more comfortable to walk on during hot days. Like anything else, dark pavers absorb and hold more heat than lighter ones.
- Safety – textured surfaces feel “soft” and resist slipping. Many meet or surpass American with Disabilities Act (ADA) guidelines for traction.
- Versatility – pool paver ideas go well beyond simply paver pool decks because their sizes and shapes lend themselves to use as seat walls, planters, nearby patios and walkways. If you want to expand you pool deck in the future, adding pavers is easy.
- Easy Maintenance – if there’s a problem with plumbing or wiring near the pool, pavers can be lifted a few at a time and easily replaced. No need to tear up a huge area for spot repairs. Concrete pavers resist algae growth and mildew on wet decks. Regular maintenance consists of:
- Sweeping away debris
- Rinsing off dirt
- Periodically reapplying a UV-resistant sealer
Bring Pool Paver Ideas to Life
There’s a lot that goes into making your old deck look new again. Before deciding to tackle the job on your own, consider what it takes for a successful installation:
- Stone selection – some are better than others for wet environments
- Applying creativity – patterns and designs turn basic squares into works of art
- Leveling the final product – you want your paver pool deck to be level so water drains properly
- Accurate cutting – it takes skill, training and the proper tools
- Proper spacing – knowing how many it takes
- Dealing with curves and angles – let the creativity come through, the best ideas for using pavers to upgrade your swimming pool aren’t just squares and rectangles
Planning and incorporating pool paver ideas to blend with a paver hardscape design takes skill and foresight. What do you see from your window as you look toward the pool? What do you want to see? With proper planning and the help of trained professionals, most anything is possible.
Contact Marvin Martinez at Martin’s Brick Pavers, 608-630-8855 or email us at www.marvinsbrickpavers.com for professional pool paver ideas and paver pool deck design for your Madison WI home.