When you need additional storage space, selecting a truly secure self-storage facility is a wise investment. There’s more to securing storage units than a good, solid lock. In addition to a lock on every door, basic elements like fences, lockable gates and overall lighting are the minimum security measures in Madison WI. Evaluating all self-storage security options is based on several things – location, prices, accessibility and size. In addition the level of security is based upon the value of the material to be stored. The value is weighed in dollars but also in it’s true worth – sentimental values.
Among all the tangible features of a well-secured facility there’s one benefit that goes above all the others – peace of mind. Replacing anything lost or damaged is a major expense and adds more stress than anyone needs.
Basic Secure Self-Storage Features
To insure that peace of mind and protect your possessions, look for self-storage operations where individual units are protected with:
- Bright, wide-coverage security lighting
- Gates and fences to regulate access
- Video surveillance through the property
- Clean, well-maintained individual units, overall surroundings, paved lots and driveways
- Climate controlled units
- Routine local police, security service patrols
- Managers who are receptive to questions and concerns
Self-storage units are perfect for dozens of applications from sports equipment to family heirlooms and over-stocked business inventory. Long-term storage agreements make individual units ideal for storing business and personal documents, records and equipment.
Before selecting a self-storage unit, ask specific security-related questions and confirm such things as:
- Hours of access – when can you get to the materials in your storage units?
- Who has access – if you’re using the space as an extension of your business, can deliveries be made to the facility?
- Human security presence – is the area regularly patrolled by local police or private security service?
- Climate control – are climate controlled units available and what parameters are considers – central air and heat, humidity control?
Climate Control is Security
Keeping property safe means more than keeping it in one place. Extremes in Madison WI weather can cause damage to unprotected items. Humidity and temperature swings impact possessions like:
- Computers and related components – printers, scanners, etc.
- Electronic equipment – stereos, amplifiers, speakers
- Musical instruments – everything from guitar strings to drum heads
- Paintings and posters
- Books and publications
- Scrapbooks and albums
- All papers – especially important for legal documents
- Furniture – especially antiques and anything made from wood
- Fabrics – furnishings and clothing
Points in favor of opting for climate controlled storage units include:
- The longer material will be stored, the more important maintaining constant temperature and humidity. If plans call for long-term storage, units with climate control offer another layer of property security.
- Monthly bill vs. real value – what would it cost to replace corporate documents or decades-old family photos damage by excessive heat and humidity?
- Sealed, environmentally controlled units are cleaner than most so your possessions stay clean.
Preparing to Stock Storage Units
Once the decision has been made to move possessions into secure self-storage, a precise planning process enhances efficiency – both for the move and for retrieving materials as needed. The process includes:
- Back up documents – make digital backup copies of all vital legal documents and store them in another location.
- Security Within – consider using locking files or fire-proof safes for vital documents stored in the unit.
- Resist the Elements – Even in climate controlled units, materials brought in with possessions can develop. Use air-tight storage containers to resist outside elements, pests.
- Get Organized – use shelves or racks to store boxes and bins for easy access.
- Make a Map – label everything and record where various elements are stored (what boxes hold what, which shelf they are on, etc.). Use waterproof labels and store the items most likely to be needed near the front.
Secure Self-storage Readily Available
There are storage options just right for your requirements in the Madison WI area. A+ Storage has storage units of all sizes available at three separate storage facilities. Two locations include climate controlled units. All are readily accessible to for Dane county residents in Waunakee, Middleton, Verona, Fitchburg, Oregon, McFarland, Monona, and Cottage Grove.
Call A+ Storage at 608-837-5113 in Sun Prairie or 608-442-7339 in Madison or email us to view all the storage unit we have and our secure self-storage features in the Madison WI area.